Thursday, August 25, 2011

Tony Ryder Workshop - Part 2

Here are some of Tony's demos from Week 2 of his Drawing Workshop:

He focused on the structures of one area of the human head for each day. Above is the nose structure.

The eye structure. Tony always emphasized the importance of viewing the features as integrated into the whole head structure. He never started drawing an isolated feature; he drew a block-in for each drawing before closing in on the feature.

The 'muzzle' or mouth structure.

The ear structure. One important piece of information I retained was the important of representing living forms with a series of curved lines, suggesting overlapping convex forms. Tony told me that he became 'allergic' to straight lines from studying with Ted Seth Jacobs. 

The Hair structure.

As he went around the room to help out each student, he made these exquisite little doodles in the margins of our drawings:








And now, my drawing that was done from a 5-day pose. I re-started my drawing about 10 times, but persistence won in the end. 

The finished drawing. I learned some much-needed lessons about the value of patience and a lightness and sensitivity of touch(which is what I believe separates the masters from everyone else). This workshop was one of the most rewarding experiences I have ever had. If you ever get the chance to study with Tony, take it! I can't recommend it enough. 
As I have mentioned in a previous posts, Tony passes on what he learned from Ted Seth Jacobs. I highly recommend Ted's books, they are insightful and brilliant:



No comments:

Post a Comment